Alerts and error messages
This section lists the alerts and error messages that appear in the camera display.
The following alerts appear in the camera display:
|H||Low battery.||Ready spare battery.|
([--] is also displayed flashing in the control panel)
|Lens is not correctly attached.|
|Bulb (flashes)||“Bulb” selected in mode S.|
|Time (flashes)||“Time” selected in mode S.|
|(Exposure indicators and shutter speed or aperture display flash)||Subject too bright; limits of camera exposure metering system exceeded.|
|Subject too dark; limits of camera exposure metering system exceeded.|
|c (flashes)||Flash has fired at full power.||Photo may be underexposed. Check distance to subject and settings such as aperture, flash range, and ISO sensitivity.|
|Subjects appear dark and underexposed.||Use optional flash unit.|
|Err (flashes)||Camera malfunction.||Press shutter-release button again. If error persists or appears frequently, consult Nikon-authorized service representative.|
|Card (flashes)||The memory card is write-protected (“locked”).||Slide the lock switch to the “write” position (The write protect switch).|
The following error messages may appear in the camera display:
Shutter release disabled. Recharge battery.
- Replace with spare battery.
- Charge battery.
This battery cannot be used. It does not communicate properly with this camera. To use the camera safely, choose a battery designated for use in this camera.
- Battery info not available.
- Battery cannot be used. Contact Nikon-authorized service representative.
- Battery level is extremely low; charge battery.
- Battery cannot supply data to camera.
- Replace third-party batteries with genuine Nikon batteries.
No memory card.
Memory card not inserted or inserted incorrectly.
- Check that card is inserted correctly.
Cannot access this memory card. Insert another card.
Error accessing memory card.
- Check that camera supports memory card.
- If error persists after card has been repeatedly ejected and reinserted, card may be damaged. Contact retailer or Nikon-authorized service representative.
Memory card is locked. Slide lock to "write" position.
The memory card is write-protected (“locked”).
- Slide the lock switch to the “write” position (The write protect switch).
This card is not formatted. Format the card.
Memory card is not correctly formatted.
- Format memory card.
- Replace with correctly-formatted memory card.
FTZ mount adapter firmware version not supported. Upgrade FTZ firmware.
The firmware of the mount adapter is not the latest version.
- Update the firmware of the mount adapter to the latest version. For information on firmware updates, see the Nikon website for your area.
Recording interrupted. Please wait.
Memory card does not support required video write speed.
- Use card that supports required write speed or change option selected for [Frame size/frame rate] in video recording menu.
The camera is too hot. It cannot be used until it cools. Please wait. Camera will turn itself off.
- Camera’s internal temperature is elevated.
- Suspend shooting until camera has cooled.
- High battery temperature.
- Remove battery and wait for it to cool.
Folder contains no pictures.
- Folder contains no images.
- Insert memory card that contains pictures.
- No pictures in folder selected for playback.
- Use [Playback folder] item in playback menu to select folder that contains pictures.
Cannot display this file.
- File has been modified using computer application or does not conform to DCF file standard.
- File is corrupt.
- Do not overwrite images using computer applications.
Cannot select this file.
Selected picture cannot be retouched.
- Retouch options are available only with pictures taken with or previously retouched on camera.
This video cannot be edited.
Selected video cannot be edited.
- Videos created with other devices cannot be edited.
- Videos under two seconds long cannot be edited.